Paradox solved; a new combination

Please refer to my earlier post regarding a paradox which was seemingly created by swapping necks and bodies of two (or more) bolt-on basses.  I’ve since realized that this isn’t really a paradox after all.  After all, I’m not really “destroying” a bass by swapping necks with another bass.  I’m only creating new arrangements (or restoring previous ones) and it’s the arrangements that need to be identified.

In order to keep things straight in my head, I made a table of all the Gecko necks and bodies that I’ve owned, and I have decided to identify each unique combination at any given point in time as its own new “bass”, logically speaking.

For example, my “first” Gecko bass is labeled “1.0″ because it is the first revision (.0) of a Gecko bass built with this particular body.  If, at some point in the future, I decide to swap necks with another bass, then this new combination (body #1 with another neck) will be labeled “1.1″.  If I swap the necks back to their prior arrangement, then I will have effectively recreated the bass labeled as “1.0″.

I haven’t yet decided whether I am going to use additional label tags (i.e. point-releases) to denote the changes to pickups, wiring or electronics.  It is possible to get too carried away with the details.

Anyway, the reason I posted this is because I just wanted to share that I have finally put together the neck and body for what will be Gecko bass “7.0″.  I’ve also received the body for Gecko bass “8.0″, but haven’t attached it to its intended neck, because that neck is still part of Gecko bass “6.1″ (i.e. attached to body #6) and I won’t be able to free it up until I finish my ultimate fretless bridge pickup comparison (see earlier posts).  Yeah.

Body #7 just returned from Warmoth, for some minor repairs.  I’ve also attached two thin strips of Bloodwood to the body as an extended thumb-rest, which start at the single bridge pickup (P2 shape) and go almost towards the neck pocket.  I quickly realized that I would miss the feeling of a pickup under my thumb, since I opted to put only one pickup in this bass, so the thumb-rest was born.  The smaller strip wasn’t really necessary, since my thumb won’t be resting on it, but I decided to put it there to cover up my less-than-optimal glue job when attaching the frist and larger strip of Bloodwood.  Anyway, it looks nice now.  The Bloodwood is a nice contrast against the solid glossy black finish of this body.  And it also matches the laminated Bloodwood stripes of this neck, which is otherwise made of solid Bubinga.

By the way, Bloodwood is NOT a good wood to use with hand tools.  It is as dense as ebony and it takes a long time to drill, saw, sand, or otherwise shape the wood.  Elbow grease is almost sufficient.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.