Good Golly.

So once again I’ve neglected this blog for several months.  It’s not for lack of news to report, but rather the lack of will to post about it. This came to my attention a few days ago when I actually remembered that I had set up a blog in the first place.

Anyway.  Here’s what’s new so far.

I have a new Gecko body made of solid walnut.  It currently has a single soapbar pickup route (EMG 40 shape) in the “sweet spot” which is currently occupied by a single Q-Tuner “medium Z” humbucker.  The neck is a new fretless Gecko neck with a maple back (yes, maple) and a wenge fingerboard.  It sounds nice.

I also acquired a new all-maple Gecko fretless neck (yes, that’s right, maple on the front) which is now attached to my solid purpleheart Gecko body (with 3 pickup cavities).  I have a trio of Villex soapbar P2 pickups in this bass now, but I am going to remove one of them to loan to another bassist for a time.  (Future pickup choices TBD.)

The last big news to report is that I finally have a flame-top Gecko body!  It’s a special piece of wood, a one-piece asymmetrical laminate top from the Warmoth “Unique Choice” line, with a poplar body core.  The finish is transparent green on the back, and a green dyed finish on the front.  It looks absolutely stunning.

I ordered this body with a single Jazz style bridge pickup route, which I will use initially to test some Jazz-shaped bridge pickups. When this is complete, I plan to re-route the pickup cavity to accomodate one Delano “TheXtender 5″ oval-shaped pickup, which I also acquired used (from eBay) a few months back.  This will be one of the most ambitious Gecko bass projects that I have yet attempted.  (Don’t worry, I also ordered the proper routing template for this Delano pickup.)

For this body, I’ve chosen to use my all-canary Gecko neck (which was formerly on the blue alder body), and this has started a chain of neck-swapping that will only be concluded when about half my Gecko basses are rearranged into new combinations.  The first big change is the resurrection of “Blue-Binga” whose body now has its original all-bubinga neck.  The neck-swapping will continue until I am satisfied with the results.  Some pickup-swapping will also happen.  Future plans and ideas will be shared when they are ready.

On a related note, I feel like I’m ready to reach for a new level of fretless playing.  My technique is slowly but gradually improving, and I can feel that I am preparing to move from this stage into another stage, where I am able to play any sequence of notes that pop into my head, not merely what my fingers tell me is easy to do.  It’s taken a while to get here, but I am glad to have more time to practice and hone my skills.

Onward!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.